The teacher-student three-step.
With thanks to Doug Lemov and the excellent Teach Like A Champion 2.0
Three steps for a teacher to minimise wasted time and disruption at the beginning of the lesson:
- Meet and greet the students at the door
- Supervise the student three-step
- Have a ‘do now’ or ‘recap’ for them to do immediately
The three steps for the students is on a handy poster: three step entry
Implementing this will require me to:
- explain why and how I want students to do this
- believe 100% that it is the right thing to do
- persevere through difficulties
- guide the students through numerous practices of it until it becomes automatic for them.